Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Take Me to a Place...

Take me to a place where they where old t-shirts and drink tea and read dusty George Eliot novels. I want to go where the old men sit up late at street side cafes arguing politics. A place where the young mothers kiss their husbands goodbye in the morning and walk their kids to school on sunny days.

Take me to a place where I can feel brisk air on my face on an early spring morning and run beside gray cliffs that dive steeply into the sea. I want to have a fire in the fireplace and watch old Ratpack movies with good friends on rainy afternoons. Someplace with a big skylight in the roof so I can look at the stars when it's too cold to go out. A place with a screened in porch and big rocking chairs and tables full of 1,000 piece puzzles. We could all dress up for no reason and drive for miles with the top down into the fading sun.

Take me to a place where the pastor has the milkman over for dinner and talk about next week's sermon. A place where you can get real ice cream on the street corner on hot summer days and buy cones for the kids in line behind you. Somewhere where the mailman knows your name and feeds your dog when you're on vacation. I want to go to a place where they have snowball fights all day long during Christmas break. Where the grandmothers invite the kids in for hot chocolate and cookies.

Take me to a place where the girls are pretty because they don't care how they look. I want to be in a place that smells like smoking chimneys and falling leaves and apple cider. Someplace where the neighbors gather round the piano and sing hymns and Beatles songs. I'd like go to a place where I can read Shakespeare in an old oak tree. A place where I can climb up on the roof and watch the sunset.

Good night everyone,

mckinney

3 comments:

Quinn said...

So I lied about going to bed. I'm up now, I had a sudden burst of energy, and you're no longer online- sad. Mckinney, this is the most amazing post ever! The whole time I was reading it I was saying "yes! I want to go there too!" That place, it is amazing. I want to go there. I'm off to find that place...

Nathan said...

Mckinney, Jesus hasn't come yet.

Be patient!



:-D

Emerly Sue said...

Ratpack on a rainy day sounds lovely.